I personally think that going the SDR route is overkill - and requires a ton
of code.

Simon! I can't believe what I am hearing from you! :)

In about a months time, I went into the PowerSDR code (v1.9.1) and
interfaced it to your Ham Radio Deluxe using DDE.  I have the PowerSDR
software sync'd perfectly to HRD - you can tune either the PowerSDR or
the rig (and change modes).   I have been using it with my Kenwood
TS-940S with a Softrock lite kit for the last two months.

RIght now I am fixing up new ("IF Stage") setup menus so that one
can input custom data about their setup by mode (since most rigs shift
frequency when modes change) - so that any radio can be used. For
example, the IF center frequency and any desired offset between the
PowerSDR and radio VFO's is something one must specify.  You can also
specify the frequency range of the radio (i.e. 1 - 30Mhz).

Just need Elecraft K3 support from HRD and we are all set!

As for me I have been working on every free moment I can find to get
this code completed and out on the web. I will be sure to post here
when I get the code packaged and up on my
website.  I will have a K3 from the third batch in my hands when it
comes out - so yes I will be testing that radio personally.

-Scott, WU2X