My parents bought me a Swan 400 when I passed my general at age 14 in
January 1964.  I went from WN2MIC to WB2MIC and CW at 13 wpm was a piece
of cake.  That rig with no bells and whistles was $1,000 new.  Inflate
that over 44 years!  Rigs today are a bargain, and feature packed, by
comparison.  I must say, however, that I thoroughly enjoyed the 320
watts DC on CW and 400 PEP on SSB.  It was new teen ham's delight to
operate.  BTW, my novice station was a Hallicrafters HT40 (I still have
one) and a Lafayette HE30 receiver.  I now use the HT40 along with a
Collins R390A for kicks every once in a while.  And then I run the K1 or
IC-756 PRO III.  All great fun.

Jozef WB2MIC