Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but, I've tried using wood drills
(the ones with the point which only cut on the outside edge, good for thin
sheet metal, too) to make copper lands on a plain board.  I think they are also
known as torpedo drills.  I've seen kits made up of lots of little squares or
circles of pcb material that you stick onto your main copper clad board.
That's a little more messy, but works.  I prefer the drill method, it also
starts a hole for your component wire.

David
G3UNA