Paul,

First of all, my condolences!

The easiest way to approach it is to look at the schematic and find which devices connect to 12 volts, and suspect any or all of them until they have proved themselves OK. The initial list is D19, Q7, Q6, U9 and U5 (plus any components associated with these active devices). You may have to resort to removing them one at a time to discover which one failed and then try to figure out which passive components that device took out after it shorted.

73,
Don W3FPR

Paul Webb wrote:
Was just off to work and decided to take my K1 with me for a a play a lunch
time, picked up a antenna i had been playing with and just connected it to the
k1 in the shack with the antenna thrown around the room, but i was powering the
K1 from a varable bench supply at the time, put it in tune mode and the k1
started to tune, i then noticed that the bench supply was reading around 17v DC
(must be rf getting into it as it was 12.5v before) and current limiting at
around 1.5 Amps.
before i could do anything the K1 went off and a smell of burning from it could
be detected.
now the K1 reads a direct short when you apply power , got to run to work now
but any ideas where to start looking when i get home would be a great help.
regards
Paul M0BMN