The link I posted has a direct jump to bookmark and might cause some browsers a problem. The main prototyping page is at http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Prototyping.htm and might be a better starting point.

Jack K8ZOA

Jack Smith wrote:
Geoff, GM4ESD, has asked the relevant question "how much shunt capacitance is present in a PCB island" when cut with a core drill?

I've tried to answer that question with a combination of theory and measured data, which are in close agreement. The details are at http://www.cliftonlaboratories.com/Prototyping.htm#Island_Pad_Prototyping. You can read the entire page, or jump to the capacitance discussion via the in-page link.

The short answer to the questions is "some" and whether "some" is too much depends on a variety of things discussed in the analysis. I will say, however, that the data has caused me to reconsider using the very thin 0.029" PCB stock for work at higher frequencies, as convenient as it may be for cutting and hole punching.

Jack K8ZOA