Gary,

If you are talking of the basic K2 without the KAT2, KAT100 or KPA100, then the answer is that may be normal. The basic K2 measures the RF voltage across the antenna jack, and reports the 'power' by computing as though the load were 50 ohms resistive. If the complex impedance produced by the antenna is higher than 50 ohms, the RF voltage will be higher - you will only observe that during a TUNE - during normal operation, the K2 will level its power to produce the amount of RF voltage that is indicated by the power requested control - again computed as though the load were 50 ohms resistive.

With the KAT2, KPA100, and KAT100, there is a true wattmeter in the circuit that is used - if it is properly balanced and calibrated, you should not notice this increase in power with a higher SWR.

73,
Don W3FPR

Gary D Krause wrote:
I've noticed that with my K2 the power increases with highter swr. While adjusting the tuner as the swr goes up the power increases and sometimes doubles and when going down the power goes down. Just last night, I was running 5 watts and switched to another antenna. I forgot to tune the antenna before transmitting and the transmit power went from 5 to 10 watts because, of the higher swr. I've noticed this before. Is this normal? It seems to make more sense for the opposite to happen.