Colin,

My recommendation is that you do *all* upgrades. You will not be disappointed with the performance when all is done.

In addition to the changes listed in the K2 A to B instructions (do even the optional ones), add the keying waveshape change. put in a new set of IF crystals (7 for base K2 and 7 for SSB board). If you want to change the SSB filter width to the newer 2.4 or optional 2.6 kHz width, order the KSB2CAPKT. During the process, check the turns ratio on T7 and if it is not the newer 20:5 turns, change it. Those changes should produce a K2 that behaves like a new one.

If there is nothing wrong with your K2 (it was a good performer in its original state), then you can just change the firmware and gain the new functions it adds, the older K2s are fully supported (BUT, sometimes the old sidetone source does not work reliably and you have to do that change - see the KIO2 or KPA100 manual Control board changes). If you choose to do any of the upgrades, I suggest that you go all the way with it while you have things apart.

73,
Don W3FPR

C WEAVING wrote:
I am still fairly new to Ham radio. Last year I purchased an old K2 Seriel No.
638 with Firmware 1.04A and I/O 1.02. This rig is a basic model , CW only with
the ATU. It suits me fine as low power CW is my main mode of operation.
I have just purchased a firmware update to Rev. 2.04 and 1.09 on Ebay??? I have reviwed the Elecraft website for update info, and feel reasonably comfortable doing the updates, but erring on the side of caution---so little point in updates that improve ssb. Now what to do?? I have considered each of the following. 1. Do nothing---leave well alone. 2. Just add the Software updates. Is this useful on its own ? 3. Add software updates and minimal hardware updates that improve CW operation. 4. Add Sotware updates and Elecraft Kit to Update Rev A to Rev B. 5. As per 4 , but include any other useful updates. Others have been this way before, so hopefully there is an Elmer who can recommend a suitable approach. I have followed this forum for about 9 months and continue to be amazed at the help and encouragement postings produce.