I'm sure that will change now that it has been mentioned.

As the elecraft community are largely builders and experimenters, the
closed aspect of Pactor-III doesn't generate the interest that would
otherwise drive the discussion.  As a protocol, Pactor-III is trying to
increase the throughput of a data transfer and it is reasonably successful
under the right conditions.  The usefulness versus the cost in bandwidth
is another issue.

The bigger problem is WinLink 2000 and how it is used.  Proper amateur
practice requires monitoring the signal to ensure you are not interfering
with existing communication.  The issue arrises from the WinLink operators
who fire up radio connected to the computer and let it go.  Frequently,
they aren't even listening and WinLink cannot "hear" anything that isn't
another WinLink end-point.  Everything else is "noise" which WinLink
addresses by retrying until it succeeds.

Similarly, if the widebanders were only using their capability when they
weren't impacting others, there wouldn't be the strong response.
--
Clark B. Wierda
N8CBW