I've wondered for a while how to achieve this.  By "this" I mean top-notch SSB
audio without resorting to wide bandwidth.

Say we limit the bandwidth to 2.8 KHz.  What sorts of things should be done to
make the audio as good as possible? I'm thinking a signal chain like this:

 - Good condensor mic (probably not a communications mic)
 - Parametric EQ.
 - Compresser running 6:1 or so (RNC?)
 - Maybe a bit of overdrive (tube distortion, just a touch?)
 - BBE Sonic Maximizer to put some sparkle into things.

Any other ideas?  I think a lot can be done without resorting to wide
bandwidth.  I'm interested in clear audio that cuts through without sounding
"like a contester".

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -