Rick Tavan N6XI rtavan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:05:45 EDT 2007

Hi Rick,

Am I wrong or is there a drawback to all of these
methods, that being that the memory info comes out of
the radio the same way every time, it never changes.
Let's say in step 1. which is the most effective, you
choose a band and then press M1 (at 14.025) then tune
up 8KHZ. If you press M2, then M1 forgets that you
went to 14.033 and reverts to 14.025 the next time it
is called.

I'd like each one of those M1-M4 to accessable by one
keypress and then tunable. This is more like band
stacking registers on other transceivers.

If you want to call up a static memory (non tunable),
rather than going to M1-M4 to get it, you simply
transfer from a normal memory.

That would be the best of both worlds.

I have a transceiver control program that I've adapted
to do all this for K3, and it will do the trick just
fine, only thing is I have to boot up WinDoze first.
Sometimes I like to leave the computer off.

If anyone is interested in my program, email and I'll
send you the help file which includes a snazzy photo
of K2 the mountain and all the scratchpad memories a
heart would desire. There's also a jumbo sized
frequency display, frequency callout, and a virtual
S-meter.

It's not HRD or N4PY but it is what it is, I've used a
similar version for the TS480 for some time.

I'll test and release as soon as I get my K3. doh!

73,
Don

Just a quick note for those of you drooling in
anticipation of your K3s:

Frequency memory control is very flexible, more than
compensating for the
lack of dedicated, individual band buttons on the
compact front panel. There
are five ways to select frequency:

   1. The BAND up/down rocker switch cycles through
bands one per tap,
   taking you to the previous frequency (and mode and
filter, etc.) that you
   used on that band. This is effective but slow.
   2. Type a frequency into your logging program and
it will command the
   K3 to that frequency (etc. - I think mode selection
will eventually be based
   on national allocations).
   3. Tap M->V and one of the numeric buttons to
select one of 10 global
   pre-set frequencies (and mode and filter, etc.).
   4. Tap M->V, turn the VFO A knob and tap M->V again
to select one of
   100 global pre-set frequencies (etc.) including the
10 that are accessible
   via a numeric button.
   5. Tap M->V and one of the four Mn buttons to
select one of 4 per-band
   frequencies (etc.).

It's methods 3 and 5 above, the "two-tap" methods,
that I really like. I
have set up my 10 numeric button memories with
mnemonic settings as follows:

1 - 10m
2 - 20m
3 - 30m
4 - 40m
5 - 15m
6 - 6m
7 - 17m
8 - 80m
9 - 12m (well, no mnemonic there...)
0 - 160m

Thus, with two button taps I can be on a preferred CW
frequency on any band
with my mode, filters and other preferences all set.

I have also set up Mn for each band as follows:

M1 - CW
M2 - SSB
M3 - RTTY

Thus, once I am on a band I can change mode (and
frequency, filters, etc.)
with two taps. I use M4 as a temporary scratchpad. I
may revert M3 to that
purpose as well since I don't operate much RTTY.

This is very fast, very easy and much better than my
prior radios (MP, 930,
K2). I love it!

73,

/Rick N6XI