In August here on the east coast, we often have lots of thunderstorms. At the leading edge of the last cell moving through for the evening, I heard the rumbles getting nearer and went out to the shack to shut some computers down and check the radar to see where the storm was. I have a 2m rig with an antenna in the attic that I use during these times for Skywarn net activity. I checked back in to see how things were going.

I keep the K2 disconnected from the antenna when not in use, and the end of the coax in an apothecary jar. I had shut down the other computers, and was checking the radar on the one last computer, when it hit. (Good news is family and K2 are fine).

At the time, I did not know what it had hit, but some breakers in the house tripped. I reset them, and found that my Ethernet port on my DSL modem, the Ethernet router, and the Ethernet switch in the office/shack were all dead. The 2m attic antenna and rig were running fine, and I informed the net of the event, and signed out.

Further investigation, after the storm had moved far enough away, (its was about 2AM by now) found part of my antenna hanging in the driveway. A quick check around back showed a severely damaged balun.

Let me digress and explain that I "had" a 80m delta loop, up about 70ft, fed with 300 ohm line, that went to a 4:1 balun up under the eves. Then RG-213 coax went from there, under the house, to the front of the house where my office/shack is. Immediately adjacent to where the 300 ohm line comes down, hanging in a tree, is a 2m Isopole antenna. That coax goes under the house and comes up in a cabinet where all my DSL equipment is. This feeds a 2m rig in the kitchen. At the time of the strike, the antenna was disconnected and the end was in a mason jar.

After daylight, I found that over 1/3 of the loop was "gone". The insulation off of the 300 ohm twin lead was all over my back yard and roof. The balun was blown apart. I assume there are some "issues" with the RG-213 that was connected to it. A battery operated "Atomic" clock, on the other side of the wall balun, ceased operation immediately. Likely due to the EMP.

I have since order a Cobra antenna, looks pretty interesting. Will let you know how it works. http://www.k1jek.com/

Lessons learned.
Do not bring coax in same hole as Ethernet. Not sure yet how I am going to change this, as I have quite a few Ethernet runs under the house, but will have to see what I can figure out. I had planned, and now will be installing a box outside with suppressors, and ground rods to try to reduce amount of charge getting inside the house.

The list of damaged equipment is extensive, and seems to grow by the day. The most painful damage was to a Kantronics KPC 9612+ that was part of a TelPac node for EMCOMM, and to my monochrome, networked, duplexing laser printer. I work from home and use the printer quite a bit. I have obviously gotten the computer network back up.

Thought I would share the story with you, and hope to be back on the air when the new antenna arrives. Take care and 73!
--

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]