Cinch Jones made sense back when you needed pins to handle 10 or 15 amps of filament supply and manufacturing couldn't technically or economically produce some of the connectors we have today. It's an antiquated connector for things like audio and control lines.

I always thought the Molex connector was one of the cheesiest connectors around and I would choose binding posts as a standard over these. It's more a mate-once and forget about it connector. I think the robustness of a Molex and an APP is about the same (doing the step on in test), however the genderless nature of APP puts it over the top. APP is now a standard, period.

Have you used an APP? It's a piece of cake to insert a bare wire into one of these, either on the mating end or the cable end and on *any* connector since they have no gender. With a DB-9/15/25 it's easy to insert a small gauge wire into a female connector (which is what I believe is used on the K3), and arguably easier to get positive contact than you will on a slotted Jones female pin.

The soldering argument against the D sub connector is a moot issue. As I mentioned earlier, cheap prefab cables are available at your local mall. Even Wally World probably has them. You can even snip the cables off of dead monitors in the dumpster at the office. It doesn't get much easier and is in the true scrounger spirit of Amateur Radio.

Charles Harpole wrote:

THEN, you can welcome these toy (D) or non standard (APP) connectors. What is better, altho old stuff--- Cinch Jones (or even Molex) and below that, screw terminal strips and/or binding posts. If u r stuck with only bare wire and MUST make a connection, sticking a bare wire tip into a Jones socket is DO-ABLE, or even into a Molex.... try that with D s and even with the APPs.