Hello to the group.

Interestingly, while reading the threads here about the delay in the
shipment of the K3, I have just concluded a most interesting book by Jay H.
Miller (KK5IM) called A Pictorial History of Collins Amateur Radio Equipment
(Trinity Graphic Systems, publisher).  I was amused to see the similarity
between what Art Collins went through during the late 50's introduction of
the "S-Line" series and what Eric and Wayne are presently dealing with.

For those who have the time, you may find this interesting reading and, I
believe, appropriate here.  I'll quote and/or paraphrase some points from
Jay Miller's very informative book:

In mid 1957 Chuck Carney, WØGDJ, accepted an offer to become manager of
Collins' amateur radio product line.  One of Carney's first assignments was
to move the line from the already successful KWM-1 to what would become
known as the S-Line.  Reporting to Carney, Gene Senti, WØROW, headed the
group which set about to create the next generation of equipment, the
S-Line.

>From Miller's book:

"By late 1957 engineering prototypes were cobbled together and Carney and
Senti took them home for testing.  To manufacture the new equipment, the
company retooled the KWM-1 production line set up in the old creamery
building on Garnavillo Street in the nearby town of Anamosa.  Carney went to
work setting up the introductory promotion plan which was scheduled for a
fall 1958 kick off."

"Carney and the advertising department developed an advertising campaign and
started to "leak" news of the new project to the dealers.  Manufacturing
models of the new S-Line were unveiled at the Institute of Radio Engineers
(IRE) Convention on March 24."

"Much of Carney's job dealt with keeping the cadre of Collins dealers
happy".

"In concert with the dealers, a coordinated roll-out of the S-Line was
scheduled for November 8 through December 8, 1958 in what was to become
known as "S-Month".

"Hundreds of hams visited dealers' stores to try out the new S-Lines.
Bookings were heavy but there was no product to sell! [emphasis by poster].
The plant ran into problems building the rigs as changes were made right up
to the last minute.  All the rigs in the first batch had to be rerouted
through the line to be modified."

"To make matters worse, after the first production run was fixed and
shipped, the dials started sticking due to an assembly process failure.  The
line was shut down until the problem could be fixed.  Every single rig in
the plant had to be taken apart, new dials manufactured and replaced.  To
top it off, all the equipment previously shipped used the same dial material
so they had to be recalled and new dial parts installed."

Later in the book, Carney goes on to discuss headaches with vendor delays,
quality of parts, engineering changes, added features, etc.  It appears that
the Collins' famous S-Line was at least 6 months off their original ship
date.

The book is interesting reading as we sit here, comfortably (anxiously)
awaiting our new K3, just a couple of weeks off target at this point.  Being
a partner in a small business myself, I realize that no business has
unlimited resources.  You staff for the norm.  When the norm becomes the
unusual, you scramble to minimize the impact and the delays.

My hat's off to those here who have seen fit to give the folks in Aptos the
"elbow room" they need to get us the best possible product in the most
timely manner, in spite of unexpected surprises along the way.

73,

Terry, WØFM