Parts:

If it makes the Elecraft guys feel any better, other manufacturers of every
stripe have just as hard a time getting some parts as you do.  A critical
assembly I have now, at work, is several weeks delayed in release due to the
same problem.  I have a full-time staff that does nothing but run down
long-lead-time parts and potential substitutes.  I assure everyone that the
lead times were not this long when I designed the part in, in the first place.
My customers don't like to hear this delay news any more than yours do, either.
 It is the same all over, hang in there, it gets better after a while.  Also,
you're doing the right thing by taking advantage of the 'lull' and using that
time for more testing.  I am doing the same thing and I figure I will be able
to bypass an entire set of field firmware upgrades because of it.  Every cloud
has a silver lining.

Remote "tuner":

Somebody wrote "Imagine being able to mount a weatherproof box outside, run the
balanced-line to it, then run coax into the shack - and the coax runs at very
low SWR, so it can be pretty long without having much loss."

Because there are so many existing autocouplers (yes, autocoupler, not
autotuner -- they don't 'tune' anything, I dislike using the wrong name for
things) it would be hard to make a new product that didn't compete with
somebody's homebrew.  I could be wrong about that.  Maybe hams today really
can't make their own anything anymore, which is sad.  Anyway, I have a remote
SGC-239 in a galvanized service entrance box, out at the edge of the woods .
It's mounted to a pipe driven into the ground.  Inside is a small
choke-capacitor arrangement to take off the DC power I 'phantom' out the coax
to the unit, and the output of this autocoupler is fed to a 4:1 balun, then
this assembly feeds a 135' doublet via 450 ohm window line.  I don't think the
whole thing cost me $200, including the little DC 'injector' in the shack.  I
suggested to both SGC and LDG that they make up such an item, ready to play,
and the idea was smilingly rejected.  MFJ *does* make the
 weatherized remote autocoupler, but it doesn't have the built-in DC power
arrangement that is necessary for adoption of the product, nor the output
balun.  So close, yet so far.  Maybe Elecraft could indeed make a product that
does it right?  After all, the G5RV sells to new hams like hotcakes, despite
the shortcomings, because so many people just want "an antenna" and that is the
advice they get about what to buy.  Visions of coiled-up feedlines on
transmission-line doublets, hung 4 meters up, at the bottom of a sunspot cycle
... what a great way to discourage newbies!  The outdoor cabinet needed for a
remote autocoupler is the tricky and costly part, embedding a slightly modified
KAT100 in it would not be difficult.

Last comment:

Has anyone yet seen (or tried) the new self-contained 'H' antenna from TW
Antennas?   <http://www.twantennas.com>  If it is what I think it is, this
could be a great OEM product for Elecraft.  Make mine gray to match my K2!