> In anticipation of my K3 with N1MM logger, I would like to
> build any necessary interfaces (keying, amplifier, computer
> control, etc.).  I have heard that the interfacing is similar
> if not the same as the K2, but I don't have a K2.  So, I
> would like to know how you are interfacing your K2 to N1MM.
> I don't mean "I built a serial cable myself" or "I recommend
> xyz's brand".  I would like to know more about your
> configurations, like whether you are using a footswitch to
> key the K2 which then keys an amplifier.  My first big
> intended use of my K3 is in an SSB contest/MM environment
> with amplifiers, (if I get it in time for CQWW SSB, I am not
> complaining, I just want to be prepared so I can use it!)  I
> only have 4 or 5 weeks before I am traveling for the contest,
> so I want to get building!  Reply to me direct or to the
> list.  Thanks.

1.  Standard serial cable, DE9S-DE9P, for rig control by PC.
2.a.  Custom Top Ten DX Doubler cable for Mic/Key/PTT/Headphones.  I took
their generic cable with a DIN plug on one end for the DXD and pigtails on
the other end.  Wired in the four plugs: Mic (3.5mm mono phone), Key (1/4"
stereo phone), PTT, (RCA Phono), Headphone (3.5mm stereo phone).
2.b.  Alternatively, plug your Mic, Key, PTT (footswitch, etc.) and
Headphones directly into the K3.  For example, the Heil headsets plug
directly into the rear panel Mic and headphone (with a 1/4" to 3.5mm
adapter) jacks, or via the Heil Kenwood adapter to the front panel Mic
connector and headphone jack.
3.  Custom AuxBus & FSK/PTT cable, DE15P with two cables to DE9 plugs, one
for the KRC2 band decoder and the other for the PC serial port (FSK & PTT).
4.  Standard RCQ Phono M-M cable for amplifier keying.
5.  Standard 3.5mm stereo phone cable for sound card input, for digital mode
decoding.  Also use a Y-adapter to drive a hardware decoder in parallel.
6.  APP power cable (production units will have this supplied but you need
to add a connector or terminals on the power supply end to match your 12 VDC
supply.
7.  Ground buss to 6-32 thumb screw on K3 rear panel.
8.  Antenna connection, PL259.
9.  RX antenna connection, BNC.
10.  RX antenna out connection to second receiver for A/B testing, BNC.

73,
Ed - W0YK