I've had my Elecraft-labeled HexKey (S/N 290) for some months
and was beginning to think one of "us" had a problem.  I have the
HexKey, a "regular" Bencher and a Brown Brothers paddle/straight
key combo side-by-side on my desk and can switch between them
at will.

I've been a CW operator for 54 years and I think I do reasonably
well at the craft.  However, I found I was consistently making more
errors when using the HexKey than with either of the other two.
At first I thought it was because it was new and I wasn't "used" to
it. Or, ... at age 70 ... I was losing my touch. But yet, the other two
keys and I produced good CW.  The sloppy keying had to somehow
be be related to the HexKey.

I made a number of attempts to adjust the HexKey's spacing and
tension, but no amount of twiddling seemed to improve my sending.
I was disappointed with the HexKey and was ready to sell it on eBay
and buy the Begali I've been lusting after.

I was looking at the HexKey while I was in a QSO with list-member
K2VCO ... and making an embarrassing number of errors ... a couple
of nights ago and noticed that it was "wiggling" slightly from side to side.
How much wiggle?  Hardly enough to notice.  This movement took place
even under the most "gentle" touch!

It appeared that the three OEM rubber feet were VERY soft and they were
acting like little shock-mounts that allowed the base to rotate back and forth ever so slightly. I doubt if Bencher gives any thought to the "softness" of the feet they install, but changing the three "soft" feet to firmer ones has totally eleminated the "wiggle", the paddle now is a joy to use and I can again send
"good" CW. (:-))

I'd like to know if anyone else finds the same situation with their HexKeys.

I still want the Begali .... but I'll keep the HexKey, too. (:-))

73! Ken Kopp - K0PP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]