Mark Hampton wrote:

I have a S-9 noise level across the bands and despite some detective
work, I have been unable to locate the source.

Noise cancelers would better be described as interference cancelers. They work by creating a null in the antenna pattern. They cannot suppress thermal or undirected sky noise.

As such, if you don't know the direction of the source now, but successfully "noise" cancel it, you will have established some information about the direction, and could, in theory, have used other means to do that more directly.

A possible other approach would be to use a separate, receive antenna, positioned for minimum interference. My impression is that noise cancelers only work well at frequencies where external noise and interference dominate receiver noise, so one should not need as efficient an antenna for receive as one does for transmit.

Apologies for the off-topic post but I though I'd canvass opinions
before I buy one.

I've removed the OT tag, as this appears, to me, to be on topic according to the guidelines, which allow more than just Elecraft hardware related articles.

--
David Woolley