I wish there was a good way to know what the fans sound like in the K3/100.

Ironically, here at home I actually have an acoustic anechoic chamber (don't
ask) and could make such a measurement ... if I had a suitable calibrated
microphone, that is.  I wonder if Spectrogram or some other sound-graphing
program would be able to electronically normalize an electret for flatness?
Maybe somebody will send me a K3 so I can publish the acoustic test results.
Ha!

Beyond issues of visual/tactile UI (which has been nearly beat to death), one
of the things that bothers me about many rigs is the racket they make.

TenTec has that down; no fan needed except for high-duty-cycle modes, and my
own personal experience shows that this is really not needed.  This is one big
reason I'm leaning towards replacing my (fairly noisy) almost 8 year old K2/100
with an Omni VII.

I really didn't like the constant fan noise from the Icom 756proII I had and
the proIII is no better; the '756 receivers are not at par so they are out of
the picking.  I don't 'do' Yaesu even if they had a decent rig, and Kenwood
doesn't have a rig that is worth buying, either.  The new FlexRadio fan sounded
VERY loud to me (at Dayton!!), and I don't fancy a radio without knobs anyway.
I modified my PC to all but eliminate the noise it makes.  So I do have a quiet
shack and I like it that way.  I don't wear headphones.

At Dayton, the din of the room made it hard to hear Wayne talk, much less hear
the K3.

So ...
Are there two fans on the K3, or just on the K3/100?
When do the two fans come on?
Do they both run together, or sometimes just one?
If just one, does the other spin freely?
Is the speed variable?
If so, how is it controlled?
Can you set the trip points for when they (each or both) come on and off, or
speed up and slow down?
Can you set it so the fan doesn't come on at all in QRP 'mode' ?