When we moved here to the outback of SW Montana 30 years
ago it was very common to see wire rhombics hanging from
lodgepole pine poles in barn yards, pastures, etc. They were for reception of distant TV stations. I still see one now and then. Several manufactures of preamps, antennas, etc. supplied booklets about antennas and techniques to better receive distant TV and FM stations. I still have several.

Rhombics were sometimes used on hilltops to drive translators serving nearby valleys and the translators are often housed in
freezers or refrigerators.  Today they're sometimes solar powered.

Sheep-herder wagons today have solar panels, satelliteTV and cell phones .... and rubber tires.

Another somewhat uncommon technique was to place a high gain yagi atop a hill/mountain and connect it via coax to another yagi pointed downhill to a ranch or town. I know of one 6 gHz microwave hop here that uses two 8' dishes coupled together with waveguide to "bend" the signal around a hill. (:-))

The cable distribution sysytem for Estes Park, CO was at one time carried entirely on 1" spaced open wire.

Ken Kopp - K0PP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
[EMAIL PROTECTED]