I'd go for a 1/2 wave vertical. That raises the feed point impedance making
the antenna efficiency independent of the local ground connection and helps
get the current loop up in the clear. A 5/8 wave vertical is nearly as good
in terms of "ground independence" while providing more low-angle gain as the
pattern compresses (think of a donut lying on its side and being squashed
flatter and becoming larger in diameter as the height increases). Longer
than 5/8 wave the pattern starts to fragment into high-angle lobes.

Where in your lineup is the premier DX band: 20 meters? It's open far more
often than 15 during this part of the DX cycle and it's where DX has hung
out, historically, since "daylight DX" was first discovered by the "ancient
ones".

A full-sized 1/4 wave vertical on 20 meters is only 16 feet high. That's
short enough for most of us to be able to put it up "in the clear" with
radials well elevated above ground so signal isn't absorbed by buildings and
the ground losses are very low, even with only four radials. (It's been
demonstrated that four radials a few feet above the ground are as efficient
as 50 to 100 radials on the ground.) The vertical can be made inexpensively
from some TV mast, conduit tubing or made from wire and hung from a tree.

Twenty has always been my favorite band for DX-ing, running anything from
QRPp (hang out near 14.060) to QRO. It's also the band where I'm most often
called by DX in response to my CQ. I'm a rag chewer more than a DX hound and
I've had a number of very interesting QSOs with DX stations on 20 who called
me. That usually happens when the band sounds dead so I call CQ. Suddenly a
very nice signal from half way around the world answers. Sometimes we'll
chat for a few minutes. Inevitably we'll hear tuners-up around the frequency
and know the "jig is up". As soon as I sign it's bedlam with stations
climbing all over themselves in a pileup even though it's usually not an
especially rare DX station at all.

It doesn't happen every day by any means, but when it does it's always fun:
for me far more fun that being in the pileup just trying to be acknowledged.
When you do call CQ, always check a couple of kHz off to the sides of your
frequency. Some DX has called me zero beat, but that's trouble when the
pileup starts: they'll all zero beat with me, right on his frequency. The
smart DX stations answer my CQ a couple of KHz away so the inevitable pileup
will land on frequency I used where he wants them <G>.

Much is said about 20 being the privileged domain of the "big guns".
Personally, I think that's poppycock. I've been haunting 20 meters regularly
since the 1950's running anything from a few milliwatts of half a kilowatt.
Sure, if you want to compete for a QSO with the latest and rarest DX
station, get in the log of current DX-pedition or rack up big scores in a
contest, you'll be elbow to elbow with full-legal-limit stations with big
antennas but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy 20 meters with a modest
station too. Besides, there's a LOT to 20 meters besides pileups and
contests.

Ron AC7AC