"MPU's or other IC's are fazed out and no longer made by the manufacture.
They will usually spec a replacement but it is usually not pin or software
compatible. . ."

OTOH, I was able to buy a kit to repair the dead display on an FT107 (also
fits 901 and 902). The original display driver was a custom made chip and I
can't fault Yaesu for not re-ordering a stock. Digital displays were still in
their infancy around the time the 901 came out and the 107 rig 'borrowed' the
design. The two display drivers I was able to buy were the result of  an
enterprising individuals effort with a PIC chip and a few parts. Now I have a
working rig and a spare for one of the other two rigs that have the same
display.
Plus, if it really came down to it I have a design I can clone.

My point is, as time goes by, newer hardware that comes on the market will
be capable of replacing outdated electronics, IF we are up to doing the
redesign. Most of the problems we experience today are the result of custom
made
chips - most of which can be mimicked with newer universally programmable
device. The future will offer us many options we don't now have.  It'll  be
selecomething the younger generation can eat for breakfast.

Al WA6VNN