Don Wilhelm wrote:

Properly done, a 500 Hz roofing filter would be centered above the audio zero frequency entirely, so the roofing filter response would extend from (say) 150 Hz up to 650 Hz - nothing on the opposite sideband, and even if it does spill over a bit on the filter slope, the DSP can clean it up. Then the DSP takes over, and your 200 Hz Hz bandwidth at a 250 Hz pitch would extend from 150 Hz to 350 Hz - still nothing on the opposite sideband, and if the roofing filter had allowed a bit of opposite sideband through (up to 150 Hz), the DSP would not allow it through.

I can tell you that when set the crystal ('roofing') filter in my K3 to 2.8 KHz and listen to a CW signal at a 550 Hz pitch, then whatever I set the DSP bandwidth to -- from 2.8 KHz down to 50 Hz -- I do not hear an audio image (the signal on the 'other' side of zerobeat).

Having said that, if there were an S9+30dB signal above or below the desired signal by 1.4 KHz, then it would activate the hardware AGC and cause a gain reduction on the desired signal. In this case I would want a narrower crystal filter.
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco