In my book, comparing elecraft to heathkit is a bad idea.

While I built a number of heathkit kits, including:
HW7,
HW101,
Big antenna tuner,
VTVM,
Power supplies,
I think Heathkit built stuff with price way to much in mind, and often used
poor or very odd designs to save money and reduce kit price.

The DX100 was full of compromises to cost, with weird power supply
setups, very small driver transformer, 1625 tubes instead of 807's,
a rickety vfo, etc.
The HW101 used a poor filter at 9 MHz? and some really odd rare tubes.
Power supplies were always very marginal.

I can understand the HW7 was a very low cost direct conversion rig, but even
then, they could have made the design better for little or no additional
cost.

Elecraft on the other hand always seems to well exceed the sum of its parts,
they take very basic circuits, computer control them, and get fantastic
performance out of them.
Looking at the diagrams, there is not THAT much difference between the
sierra,
the KX1, K1, and K2, at least in the analog part. Single conversion, xtal
filter,
the differences seem to be more in the computer control...
The sierra was actually more complex with its IF amp chip...

While heathkit stuff always worked, it was usually a poor performer and had
loads of improvements that could be done to it.
That was part of the fun I suppose....

Brett
N2DTS