As measurements become more precise, it becomes more and more important to recognize what Bill is pointing out. A slight difference in test setup can result in a different result. These measurements are done at the sub-microvolt level and it does not take much to create a difference.

Test equipment must be calibrated, and the calibration tolerance should be known. Traceable calibration is one thing, but the tolerance limits of that calibration are also important - not all calibration labs are equal.

Even with calibrated equipment and the same test setup, two different equipment operators may yield two different results. As an example, consider an instrument having a display for readout (like an oscilloscope), the trace has a finite width, and one operator may place the cursor on the midpoint of a trace width while another may place it at one edge yielding two different values - how much they differ depends on the resolution used, brightness of the trace, scale illumination, how well the display was focused, etc.

One good step in the right direction would be to report the region of uncertainty for all measurements. For me, that is a piece of information that becomes more critical as the measured values become smaller. The ARRL lab may do that calculation in-house (I haven't asked), but they do not state it in their published reports.

So for now, when I see comparison data between two receiver that vary only by a dB or so, I usually figure that is close enough to ignore the difference (I usually do consider 3 dB or more difference to be significant).

73,
Don W3FPR

Bill Tippett wrote:
snip...
        It's also dangerous to assume Elecraft's measurements
will be identical to ARRL/Sherwood.  There are often differences
due to different test methodologies, people and equipment.