Some of you might remember that I own a K2 (serial no: 4288) and that I had
been experiencing problems with its power output. You will also remember
that I have been trying to sell it for sometime, without any success so far.

Recently the rig started showing signs of more problems with its output
power, such that when I try anything above 5 watts at 3.5 or 7 Mhz, I get a
high current warning. This normally used to be around 6.5 watts at 3.5 and
7.8 watts at 7 Mhz. I presume this is a sign that some component is showing
signs of deteriorating. I am not sure if it is transmitting any signal at
all, since I could not make any QSOs on those bands and could hardly make
more than 63 during the Lighthouse Weekend on 14 Mhz. (I am mainly an SSB
only person.) I have heard another friend, who seems to own a K2/100, is
experiencing similar problems. So, I have got a feeling it might be due to
a faulty part somewhere.

It was fun getting "beautiful signal" comments as long as it worked but as
far as I am concerned, the rig is rapidly becoming unusable. I know I
cannot fix it because I am no builder and I know it would be very difficult
to get it past the customs on its return if I send it to the states for
fixing (unless I take a flight myself and bring it back with me).

So, now I intend to sell it at e-bay, hoping it will get a good offer. If I
can get a good offer, I am considering a K3. Before that, I wanted to try
my chances at the Elecraft reflector, first. Please e-mail me your offer
privately, if you are interested, and let us see how it goes.

73!
de TA2RX

>Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 03:01:32 +0300
>To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
>From: Bekir Kemal Ataman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: FS: Built K2 (Europe)
>
>I have got a fully loaded K2 for sale:
>
>Basic K2
>KSB2 (SSB Option)
>K160RX (160m option)
>KIO2 (RS-232 Interface)
>KNB2 (Noise Blanker)
>KDSP2 (Advanced Internal DSP Filter)
>KAT2 (20W Internal Automatic Antenna Tuner)
>FDIMP (Finger Dimple)
>Yaesu MH-31 microphone
>Plus all documentation.
>
>It was built by an experienced HAM who has also built a KX1 and K1. He
>works mainly CW, I work SSB. So, I know it is FB on CW. I had it tested at
>the Telecommunications Authority laboratories to be able to register it.
>According to their mesaurements the rig seems to be slightly misaligned (I
>hope this is the correct term). The maximum output powers they have
>measured are:
>
>2.10 W at 1.8 MHz
>-- W at 3.5 MHz (they somehow could not measure. I do not know why.)
>8W at 7 MHz
>11 W at 10 MHz
>13.8 W at 14 MHz
>-- W at 18 MHz  (they somehow could not measure. I do not know why.)
>9.6 W at 21 MHz
>7.5W at 24 MHz
>6.06 W at 28 MHz
>
>I have made about 1000 SSB QSOs with it, including Japan and Brazil, using
>a 4-band inverted vee antenna and have not observed any other problem. It
>seems to work allright an all bands, apart from the maximum power output
>problem. I am not capable of fixing it because I am not a builder.
>
>I will sell it for 1000 Euros + Shipping.
>
>Please respond off the list if you are interested.
>
>73!
>de TA2RX

Bekir Kemal Ataman, Ph. D.
Assoc. Prof. of Archives, Records
   and Information Management
Marmara University, Faculty of Engineering
Department of Industrial Engineering
Goztepe, Istanbul, Turkiye
Tel: +90-216-348-0292 Ext. 225

ArchiMac BBS Sysop & Webmaster