-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brian Pepperdine
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 8:32 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] restrictive CQs? SKCC,Fists etc. - protocol on who we
can play with

Well, I just gotta ask.
It really seems a lot of the CQs I hear are CQ FISTS and CQ SKCC.
Are these persons bothered if I reply and just want a QSO/rag chew/contact
and don't need their number and won't send one in return - or don't favour a

hand key?

I just don't see the sense in sending numbers - and I really don't need to
collect them. That's OK for those that do... but to not 'accept' those who
don't?
And the straight key guys.... do they really only want to have contacts with

someone enamoured of the straight key. I have a number of old hand keys...
they look nice, but my keyer and paddle are easier on the arm that has had
a lot of jolts from carpentry/bicycle riding/motorcycle throttling....

I know I can pass them by I guess - but gee, I want to have a contact, plain

and simple and it seems so many possible operator calls are restricting
themselves to someone with a number or old fashioned key. Can't we just
agree to all talk and THEN say, oh by the way I have a nice old key here I
am using, or I have a number.

Or maybe it should be - CQ FISTS? or CQ SK? - which is to say... I have a
number if you want one but otherwise call me anyhow... or I use an old key
and won't send all that fast with it (nice if you are afraid to have to QRS
the fellow).

Anyhow, not much of a rant as a query on protocols of calling and answering,

as well as just wanting to be able to work a lot of fellows on the radio.
Otherwise, I guess I will just have to let them alone in their respective
sandboxes and go play with those who feel more open (wherever and whenever).
I do realize they DO have their calling frequencies... but I am hearing more

broadly than that. Seems to me to be a weird imbalance.

On the other hand.... my copying of numbers is getting good from 'reading
the mail' on those QSOs for practice :)

tnx

Brian
Toronto