> I'm reading Data Modes on page 28. There are two references to "DIG 0"
> which can be used for direct modulation, which I cannot find (using
> search) anywhere else in the manual. What input is this?

In FSK mode, this input is the FSK keying line from your FSK TNC or FSK
computer software, e.g. MMTTY.  In the future, it will be the keying line
for other digital modes.

> I'm also interested in how this modulation is achieved. Years
> ago, I operated RTTY with an FT-301 using a home made modem
> and direct modulation. I wrote a program which sent and
> received 5-bit Baudot code at 45.5 baud via the serial port.
> Is this what the K3 would need, or can you send plain ASCII
> at a normal supported speed and the firmware buffers it?

Yes, your hardware TNC or software program needs to send the Baudot encoded
"on-off" transitions where Mark = high or open and Space = closer to ground.
There is a FSK POL menu entry in the K3 to reverse this logic if necessary
for your external keying hardware/software.

Alternatively, you can use a terminal program, or other software, to send
ASCII to the RS232 connector for FSK and other digital modes.

> If the modulation is really "direct" as stated, how would
> direct modulation of PSK31 be achieved, or do I misunderstand
> this capability?

Same way ... your external hardware or software would need to provide the
PSK-encoded "on-off" transitions.

73,
Ed - W0YK