Hi Larry:

At 07:27 10/11/2007, Larry Maguire wrote:
I've read many of the messages about the K3 so far. My interest is ssb only
and its receive capabilities. To sum it all up: From the ones who have
tested the rig in the field, how does the K3 do on ssb and taking out the
qrm on 75 meters each evening?  Is it advisable to get the 2.8, 2.1 and 1.0
roofing filters to have at least some "peace" when operating 75 meters at
night?

Like just about any other SSB radio, you can only do so much in this mode,
especially on this band and at this time of day (err, night).

The K3 has an excellent AUTO-NOTCH feature which will do a great job at notching
out an interfering carrier.

Regarding the roofing filters, I'd not go any more narrow than 1.8kHz (if
one comes available), and even this is pretty narrow... I'd think that a 1.0
kHz filter for SSB would be out of the question. The available 2.1 kHz filter
should do a good job while still permitting a moderate level of received
audio quality, though the audio passband will be somewhat restricted.

The K3s IF DSP will also help greatly is rolling off QRM above or below your
operating frequency.

Will it make 75M 'enjoyable'... probably not... but the only way to make 75M
SSB enjoyable in the evenings is to go to 80M CW... <G>

73,

Tom Hammond    N0SS