Joe,

I am not certain why the Elecraft mike would have that kind of problem and not the Icom mic. I have trouble believing it has anything to do with the particular mike.

Get out the computer and Spectrogram (or similar tool) and check the position of the IF filter passband for both LSB and USB when in the FL1 filter position. If you have the 2.4 kHz wide SSB filter center the passband between Spectrogram markers set at 300 and 2600 Hz, if you have the older 2.1 kHz filter, use 300 and 2300 Hz, and if you have the wide 2.6 kHz filter use 300 and 2900 Hz markers. Note that the lower marker does not change - it should always be 300 Hz.

Once the passband positions are correct, do the carrier balance adjustment. You can do it as instructed in the manual, or if you have a means of measuring small RF voltages (like with a 'scope), you can plug in a key (no mic connected), set for LSB then hold the dot side of the paddles (DOT and PTT are the same line inside the K2), and adjust the pot for minimum RF voltage. Check USB and if necessary, tweak the balance pot for a compromise between LSB and USB.

After those adjustments are complete, check the mic operation again. If you still have trouble, you may want to check for 'RF in the shack' (but I would think that should be a problem with both sidebands).

73,
Don W3FPR

jmalloy wrote:
Hi, gang, I need your help. I just received a new MH2 mike from Elecraft and intend it for eventual use on my third round K3 order. In the meantime, I modified my K2 to use it -- the sheet included with the mike provided instructions for doing so and I added the resistor across pins 1 and 6 of the mike socket and use the header pins they provided. All went tickety-boo. I used to use an old Icom hand mic which worked very well but I was looking forward to being all Elecraft (I have an Elecraft Hexkey, too!)

Well, darn if the thing is giving me trouble: it acts as if there's RF in the system but the mike socket is grounded and it even acts that way at low power; my watt meter shows approximately 40 watts of power when the mike key is depressed on LSB but -- get this -- no power is shown when it's on USB where it seems to work fine!

What should I check?  Help!