I've built two K3's in the past five days from production kits just as they
are shipped to customers as part of an extended field test deployed by
Elecraft.  This is another example of Elecraft's diligent focus on their
customers and quality across the range.  Not surprisingly, K3 customers will
be delighted, whether they ordered a kit or a factory-assembled unit.

The K3 FAQ says build time is 7-9 hours and my experience was exactly that.
Of course it depends on the options included, but most of them are trivial,
if done along with the main kit.  It also depends on your own skill and
assembly speed.  I tend to be a slower builder, lingering on every word in
the manual, looking ahead, trying to foresee issues, etc.  My K2 build time
is longer than many.

The first K3 I built, last Friday evening, was a K3/10, KAT3, KXV3, KBPF3,
five roofing filters and the KPA3.  It took about nine hours, of which 1.5
hours were spent doing a detailed inventory at the beginning.  As most of
you know, inventory time pays itself back immensely in reduced assembly time
plus fewer errors and re-work.

I built the second unit yesterday afternoon and it took less than seven
hours, owing to my experience with the first one.  In fact, I think I could
build a complete K3 without the manual now!  However, both builds took
longer than normal because I was making copious notes in the margins of the
manual for Elecraft engineering and production.  Here is the time break-down
on the K3 built yesterday:

Inventory - 1 hour (starting from slitting the packing tape on the shipping
box)
Build K3/10 with KAT3 - 4.3 hours
Inventory & build KPA3 - 1 hour
Inventory & build KXV3 - 10 minutes
Inventory & build KBPF3 - 10 minutes

The most time-consuming part of installing options is removing the top and
both bottom covers (30-40 screws?), so if you can do them together or as
part of the main kit, there is some time saved removing and installing
covers.  The quality of the assembly manual, the parts and the design is
extraordinary.  This is a class product.  And when you're finished, the
radio rivals most any on the market today at any price, manufactured in much
larger facilities than the combination of Elecraft's modest kitting room and
your home workbench.

73,
Ed - W0YK