A little elf whispered in my ear about my errant facts regarding the number
of cover screws necessary to remove/install when adding an option to the K3.
Despite my undergraduate degree in mathematics I can't count correctly.
Lest I leave people with the wrong perception about the K3 screw count, let
me make a more analytical correction.

The cover screw count is:

Top - 9
Bottom front - 7
Bottom rear - 10

So, even if you do remove all three covers, it is only 26 screws (did I add
those up right?).  However, my little elf also reminded me that most options
(soon to be all options I'm told) really only require one of the bottom
covers to be removed.  So this is about half the number in my original
posting.

To add a roofing filter, for example, requires the top cover and bottom
front cover to be removed ... 16 screws.  The filter plugs into its socket
through the top of the K3 and it is secured by a single screw inserted
through the main RF board from the bottom.  Incredibly simple and
comprehensively sound, electrically and mechanically.

As I think about this cover removal/replacement scenario a bit more, I
realize that the K3 is (once again) very unique from other radios in a most
positive way.  Adding a filter in some other radios may involve less screw
removal but that is at a cost of many times more weight and volume because
there is a mechanical infrastructure including hundreds of screws and tens
of special sheet metal parts, castings, etc.  As one can see from K3
pictures or the real thing, there ain't much in a K3 beyond these few screws
and a very few sheet metal parts plus ten of those ingenious 2D fasteners.
KL7RA peered inside Tree's K3 and asked, "Where's the radio?"

73,
Ed - W0YK