The problem with ROHS compliant soldering is that you must not be able to mix
it up with leaded solder.  So, a manufacturer has to have one or the other, or
separate lines running one each exclusively.  So, if the manufacturer wants
volume production capability it has to move over to lead-free and dispense with
leaded all together in a practical set-up.

BTW, I don't think there are any cases of death by poisoning from leaded
solder: it's now only a case of environmental issues (ie politics).

David
G3UNA