I would say for better performance in every mode, the K3
does AM, FM, 160 and 6 meters, RTTY is built in, AM sync detector,
a better display, more knobs.

With the K2, I think ssb was really an afterthought, as was dsp,
and they are not as user friendly in the K2 as is likely to be the case
with the K3.

I think the K2 is best as a CW qrp rig with the auto antenna tuner
built in. Its very good in that config.

As a full feature radio for the shack, the K2 lacks a few features maybe,
and its small.

I want the K3 mostly for the AM part, as that is what I operate
mostly, and I plan on using the transmitter as a driver (RF carrier)
for the big homebrew rigs, and the receiver.

I am sure I will check out rtty copy with it, and might love
to do some CW if I ever get my speed up some.
Who knows, I might even do some ssb with it if I hear anything
interesting on that mode.

It also might be great as a mobile rig in the car, there are lots
of guys running AM mobile on 80 and 40 meters, and 10 meters when its open.
The noise reduction stuff in the K3 should be great for that, as will
the auto antenna tuner.

I plan on getting another K2 and building it in the future,
when I get the funds, as it is a very slick package as a CW
qrp rig that you build.

For the serious contester or DX hound, the K3 has many
features and the performance those guys need and love.

Brett
N2DTS