In the telephone world, equipment allows out to 4Kc.
That was considered optimal for intelligibility vs bandwidth.
The telephone network bandwidth is 3.1kHz (300 to 3400Hz). 4kHz was the analogue bearer channel separation, and allows for realistic shape factors on the channel filters. On digital signals, the 8kHz sampling rate allows the use of realistic anti-aliasing filters when the audio bandwidth is 3.1kHz.

For swl use, 16Kc is not unreasonable for people with good ears, that gives
8Kc

The channel spacing for SW broadcast stations is 5kHz, although I suspect they are are allowed to overlap each other. I'm sure there are standards for this, but I suspect a well maintained transmitter is limited to a similar audio bandwidth as the telephone system, or less. I would think that one would normally expect to be received with a filter that was well down the skirt at 10kHz, so as to suppress the adjacent carriers. Propaganda stations and commercial ones in a poorly regulated environment might well transmit more bandwidth. (Medium and long wave transmissions use 9kHz channel spacing.)

--
David Woolley