This would be highly illegal if it was not the company
owners doing the work. ;-)

[Elecraft] K3 STATUS -- a note from the lab
wayne burdick n6kr at elecraft.com
Fri Nov 2 13:56:32 EST 2007

Since the K3's PCB modules are pre-assembled, we have
to 100% test
them, whether they're destined for a kit or for a
fully-assembled unit.
I thought I'd give you some flavor of what goes into
this.

For the K3 RF Board, we use a computer-controlled
signal generator and
spectrum analyzer, along with the K3's built-in
true-RMS audio
voltmeter, to do MDS tests on each band (receive
mode). While the
process is partially automated, each unit's band-pass
filters, first
I.F. trap, and mixer balance must be carefully aligned
by hand. We also
sweep each band for return loss from the antenna
through the T-R
switch. During this test, some low-pass filter toroid
windings must be
hand-adjusted. In transmit mode, each band is checked
for drive range,
max power output, key-down current drain, spectral
purity, etc.

Performance tests of this kind are also done on all
other modules
(there are over a dozen in even a basic K3). The
results are highly
repeatable, ensuring that both kit and
factory-assembled K3s work
equally well.

However, this turns out to be very time-consuming, so
reducing test
time through automation is one of our major ongoing
efforts. I'm now
pitching in to help our manufacturing-engineering team
(Brian, W6FVI
and Rene, WR6MTR) by adding test firmware to the K3
itself. K3 owners
will benefit from this effort in another way, since
some tests are
added to the K3's POST routine (power-up self-test),
and all of the
added remote control commands can be used to advantage
in third-party
software applications.

That's the news from the lab. Back to work....

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---