In a message dated 11/5/07 7:22:31 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I wonder, could a computer just run the thing while you are out
> raking leaves.
> Most rigs can be software controlled, computers can beat people
> at chess, why not just have the computer do the contest?

Because a computer cannot beat a trained operator at contesting. Yet. Chess
is logic, there is nothing left to skill or chance. Contesting is a lot more
complex.

And because contesting is essentially radiosport. A moped could win the Tour
de France, and a rollerblader could win the Olympic marathon in world-record
time, but that wouldn't be sporting.

> Or has all this been done already?

The idea is not new.

W3FQB (SK) wrote a story called "The Man Who Broke The Bank" about a
techno-ham who built a fully automated SS station and proceeded to make an
incredible
score. The computer did everything, he just sat and watched it and
occasionally keyed it manually just to have something to do.

The article was in QST. May, 1953.

73 de Jim, N2EY