John,

For your long wire situation, one set should be sufficient to provide
adequate RF grounding at your tuner loaction - or if you prefer you could
use an artificial ground instead (see recent discussion on the reflector).
The situation with a monopole antenna is quite different than feeding a long
wire --

For tuned radials on a vertical, you CAN use only one radial per band, but
the radial will radiate (and pick up signals too - it works both ways) which
will add a horizontally polorized component to the radiation pattern.
Adding a second radial physically opposite the first will create the same
phase currents in the two radials (relative to the base of the vertical) and
the radiation will cancel, IF and only if they are physically opposite.  No
real magic involved!!!

73,
Don W3FPR