First, thank you to those who responded and taught me the difference between
these several types of diodes.  Now, to share an experience, actually, several.
 three times in five years have had my radio go awry on transmit, and all three
times the cause was the same;  directional diodes in the SWR bridge.

Specifics of the symptom vary because, for example, this time in the K2, the
FWD diode fried infinitely open in both directions, while the REF diode fried
shorted.  In the KPA both diodes fried leaving 1.5K in both directions.

Specific details of radio behavior were quite different, but general behavior,
loss of the power control on the K2, HI CURR report from the radio trying to
run all out (since the bridge is reporting inaccurately what power is going by
it), unable to use the auto-tuner, inaccurate SWR and power out reporting.

KAT-2 ... not a recommendation, just a comment.  I mount the diodes on the
underside of the circuit board.  This puts them on the outside of the KAT-2
module which makes it possible to replace them without any disassembly.

KPA ... I haven't yet thought of anything clever for making these diodes more
accessible, would be nice.

Kirby, who really does know, suggests putting a 1 uh choke at the input of the
directional coupler to protect these diodes.  Once that is done, however, one
will no longer be able to check the viability of the diodes while in the
circuit since this will look like a short to ground to a DVM.

I am sure this problem occurs more or less frequently depending upon where one
is located, and what kind of antenna.  For example, I have never lost these
diodes when using my forty meter full wave loop which puts the antenna at
ground potential.  Lost them now after putting up a G5RV flat top which seems
to have no trouble gathering static even in a clear sky.

The KPA has a 100 uh choke across the antenna jack.  That did not protect the
diodes in the KPA, dunno why.  I am sure it protects the finals.

P.S.  Had a friend lose K2 finals to ESD.  Is there any reason why one couldn't
put that 100 uh choke across the antenna jack on the K2 f???

Thank you, and 73

Fred
kt5x