I agree, but as an example if I am on 40m at some ridiculous hour I would be working CW at the low end and SSB between 7140 and 7197 kHz, which I believe could result in a fair number of "clicks" during the night when using an all driven array with the type of ATU you have in mind. I guess that what I am saying is 'don't forget the sleeping neighbours' :-)

73,
Geoff
GM4ESD

Nick Waterman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Geoffrey Mackenzie-Kennedy wrote:
Something that should not be overlooked is acoustic noise generated by
an antenna matching unit (ATU) if it is to be used outside, relays
clattering away at 2am could upset the neighbours!

... but to be fair, that's only when you press "TUNE" for the first time
on a new antenna, right? After that, most modern ATUs will remember the
settings for different bands, or different parts of bands, and when you
QSY significantly it's usually just one "click" to get back to the
remembered settings?