Jerry and all,

There are a few soldering stations that have isolated tips (they also say they are ESD safe) that can be used when working on live circuits. The Solomon soldering station that I have is an isolated tip.

73,
Don W3FPR

Jeremiah McCarthy wrote:
Until retirement in 1993, I worked for 35 years soldering in the aerospace
industry...In every soldering station and straight soldering iron I ever
encountered that had a 3 prong AC connector, the soldering tip was connected
directly to house ground...I have an old Weller WTCP, a Hakko 936, an old Pace,
and several straight soldering irons with 3 prong plugs and they all have tips
grounded directly to house ground...The Hakko 808 desoldering tool has a
grounded tip...Most soldering handles and the wire for them are made of static
dissipating plastic to help drain any charge on the operator's body...It would
be next to impossible to use one of these tools and not accidently touch the
chassis or ground plane with it at one time or another...Grounding the work mat
and the wrist strap through a 1 meg resistor is normal, but not the soldering
tip...Some mats have a ring on the end of the ground wire that you slip over
the round ground prong on the AC plug before you plug the solde
 ring iron in...