Sometimes turning on the preamplifier makes a world of difference, even when
low threshold is selected. I realize that the preamplifier is not needed on
the lower frequency bands and normally would be turned off to preserve the
dynamic range of the receiver. But this is a case where raising the overall
signal levels above normal helps the  KNB2 to suppress the noise much
better. In my experience it often brings otherwise inaudible stations up to
Q5 copy.

I've not been following the thread. My apologies if others have already
mentioned this.

Ron AC7AC