Hi All,

As most of you probably know, the K3 incorporates a feature called "AFX", which is similar to stereo reception. It is a DSP function, and I am finding it to be very beneficial. You can read a brief description of it on P. 33 of the owner's manual. As described, it does indeed make listening less fatiguing, or seemingly so. But the real benefit I am finding is in readibility of many signals. On SSB, many signals are definitely enhanced by using this feature. It does seem to depend somewhat on just what kind of audio is being provided by the other station. In other words, the benefit of AFX seems more pronounced on some signals as opposed to others. The same occurs on CW.

If you don't have your K3 yet, but do happen to have a Heil headset with their phase switching feature, you can get some idea about what I am talking about. But the K3's AFX feature is substanially more pronounced as to benefit. AFX really seems to make some signals jump right up, and significantly more pleasant to listen to, besides making a signal more readable. It seems particularly effective if you have any kind of noise level.

So, in case you were wondering, AFX is not just a "gee whiz" feature. It truly does very good things.

Dave W7AQK