Have you calibrated the KPA100 temperature sensor and set the quiescent
bias?

The KPA100 has a self-protection circuit in it that reduces power and
displays the message "PA HOT" if the heat sink temperature exceeds 85C
(185F).

I'm not sure it's possible to get the heat sink that hot in normal use, even
the most long winded rag chews <G>.

A few years ago I was part of a group testing the stability of the K2/100
over a wide range of operating temperatures. The test protocols included
minutes at 100 watts output.

Under those conditions, in a shack with an ambient temperature of 24C (75F)
the temperature of the cooling fins on the heat sink would approach 50C
(122F). The K2 cooling fan was operating normally automatically switching to
"high" above 37C (100F). No other cooling was provided.

The tests were done dozens of times with no adverse effects on the rig.

Eventually the heat sink temperature reaches equilibrium. The greater the
difference between its temperature and the ambient air temperature, the
faster it loses heat. When the loss of heat equals the heat being
contributed by the amplifier circuits, the temperature no longer rises.

The testing did not try to find this equilibrium. We were testing the
effects on the heat on internal oscillators, not testing the KPA100 itself.
My notes do indicate that the rise beyond 50C was very, very slow, however.
That's why the tests stopped there. The rig was no longer heating
appreciably.

I mention the quiescent bias because the current the PA transistors are
drawing "key up" also contributes heat. If it's high, that could lead to
significant additional heating.

Ron AC7AC