In a message dated 12/11/2007 11:40:11 A.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
You don't suppose trying to  use an 80-meter dipole on 160 had anything to do
with it, do  you?

K9ZTV

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I don't know if  this will help, but I've had two experiences with my K3
regarding power  reduction. While attempting to participate in the 160M
contest, I
connected  to my 80M dipole and hit tune in the ATU active mode. I
immediately
got a  high SWR and retune cycle which reduced the SWR at the rig to ~ 10:1.
Checking the power output, which had been set at 106W, it was indicating
79W.
During a second subsequent tune (same ant and same settings ) the  rig
initiated
a tune cycle and immediately shut down. No overpower/high  current
indication.
I turned the rig on again, and everything was the same  as before.  I suspect
maybe the tune was marginal and that at that SWR  the rig is between a
'continue
or shutdown' logic process. No residual  effects were noted.

Al WA6VNN K3 #31

Of course it had everything to do with it -  but an experiment is an
experiment - I like to see what a well designed radio can really do. Besides I
made
a few dozen contacts on the 160M contest and they were the first contacts
I've made on 160 in 46 years of hamming.  I rather enjoyed it! I hope the  info
was helpful in answering the question about SWR and rollback. Yes it does  roll
back, and very gracefully I'd say.

Al WA6VNN