I had the same problem; could only get 3.7 v with R1 cranked all the way to the stop. My 8v regulator put out 7.9 v. At the suggestion of one of the older hands, I calculated the voltage divider and confirming that 3.7v was about as high as I was going to get with that regulator voltage output. I put off changing the regulator out, though, because the AGC action is just about perfect as is. One day, when I'm scratching around for something to do, I may replace it. I do love this radio.

73,  Jim

Jim Stoneback
K4AXF
Drake SW8