It could be that the relay could be switched by sending DC voltage up the coax, particularly if the balun is a good distance from the radio - much like turning on a pre-amp on the mast.

73, Jamie
WB4YDL

wayne burdick wrote:
Leigh wrote:

This is great! I had been meaning to ask because I have use a switchable BL2 ony my big loop and had no way of knowing what the KAT3 was doing in the 1:1 and 4:1 positions, other than how long it took to find a match.

This is certainly one excellent use of the KAT3's LCSET mode, Leigh.

You've also given me an idea for a "BL3": Same as the BL2 but with a relay rather than a switch for selecting 1:1 vs. 4:1. We could then use one of the K3's spare output lines (say DIGOUT1) to switch the relay under firmware control, per-band. There would be one wire running from the AUX I/O connector to the BL3, and you'd need to power the relay from the K3's switched 12 VDC accessory output.

If this is of interest, I'll ask the BL2's designer to take a look at it. I have the same problem myself, so I already want two :)

73,
Wayne
N6KR