In a message dated 12/26/2007 7:37:49 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I'm back from my week-long  road trip, and I finally have pictures from
my trip online, plus the pictures  from my K2  build...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/af6fh/collections/

(Note: If  you're offended by pictures of ham radios and stuffed
animals in close  proximity, you probably shouldn't look... :-)

I actually didn't do much  radio stuff on my trip; it was my first road
trip ever, and at times just  getting from one place to another was as
much as I could handle! However, I  did set my K2 up in the field,
which was good practice, because I expect to  be doing more of that in
the future. My road-trip kit needs a little  refinement, too, and I'll
have to work on that a bit. (Expect questions  later!)

Sarah AF6FH
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sarah,
I'm pleased that you took the time to stop in Gaviota and snap a few photos
of the rest stop as well.
I live a few miles down the road toward Santa Barbara.  The dead trees  you
saw are more of a bush when foliated and were actually the remains of a burn
that swept through the area about 3 years ago. The protracted draught in this
area has delayed the usual re-growth considerably. This area is noted for its
daily high winds and that contributes somewhat to the vulnerability to fires.
I  hope you had a chance to turn towards the beach area a 1/4 mile    south
and have a look at one of the nicest beaches on the Cal  coast. know  for a
very wide expanse of pure white sand I have spent quite a few days as a
youngster playing there.

The shot up hill at the ridge on the west side has a very interesting
feature we cal the 'elephant'. It's most noticeable when in the southbound 101
as
you approach from the canyon. along the ridgeback is a formation of rocks  that
look like a small family of elephants - mom,  pop, and a couple young,  as
they trudge up the ridge tail in trunk with the lead elephants trunk/head and
right ear very pronounced. Mostly only locals who travel the road frequently
are  aware of it.

Hope the rest of trip was fun and love the K2!

Al WA6VNN   -  K2 4887, 6281, K3 31