Hi Ron .
No I did not have any synthesiser error messages at any stage.
I thought that may have gone out of lock as tuning the main dial alterd the background noises but not that much ie tuning seemed slower than expected. As I said in the mail to the list I should have scanned the RX freq with my sig gen that may have given a clue as to what was happening

Perhaps you need to run Cal Syn after a retro fit of the KPA3 but it is not documented anywhere I can see
Thanks
Rowland

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Do you have any error messages when running the Synthesizer calibration?
(Owner's manual, Calibration Procedures, Synthesizer)

If the synthesizer is out of lock, the receiver will still produce some
noise and possibly what sounds like signals. But it'll be way off frequency,
which would explain the inability to transmit.
Ron AC7AC