For narrow band sweeping (depends on the frequency range, couple hundred KHz at max) you can use the 8620B's FM mode.

Put the sweep generator into the FM external input, and also onto the X axis of your 'scope. Keep the modulating frequency low. Does not have to be a linear ramp either, sine wave will work but you will have a bit of a puzzle interpreting the oscilloscope x-axis in this case. If you keep the sweep speed very slow, there are no significant FM sidebands, so you have, in essence, a sweep. The 8620B is DC coupled on FM, so there's no low limit to sweep speed.

Jack

Robert Tellefsen wrote:
I have a nice 8640, which is an excellent signal generator.
However, I'm interested in sweeping filters with it.
Does anyone know if there is a way to get it to sweep,
or are we stuck with manual tuning?
Thanks and 73
Bob N6WG