WILLIS COOKE wrote:
Shaun, it will decrease the efficiency drastically.  A
two meter long 80 meter dipole will be about 10% as
efficient as one 40 meters long at the same height.

That's only conditionally true, although the conditions are probably going to apply in this case. An antenna that is a long way from the ground (or over a low loss ground) will have a low radiation resistance if it is short, but could be efficient if the loss resistances in the antenna and ATU are small. (I suspect that an antenna that is short compared with its height may also have lower ground losses, but I haven't researched this.)

As far as I know, a helically loaded antenna will have a higher radiation resistance than one with all the inductance lumped in the ATU, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular on hand-helds. On the other hand, it may well have rather higher ohmic losses. If <memo.cgu.edu.tw/jui-ching/antenna3.pdf> is correct, one would expect an 80m dipole, constructed from normal mode helices, with a span of 2 metres, to have a radiation resistance of about 200 milli-ohms, whereas <http://memo.cgu.edu.tw/jui-ching/antenna1.pdf> seems to suggest 123 milliohms for lumped loading in the ATU, The radiation resistances scales as the square of the length, providing the antennas are short.

I'm also fairly sure that the amount of wire to wind on the helix is significantly different from the amount that would be used in a straight line. My gut feeling is that it should be less, but I haven't researched that, either, although another URL pulled in searching for the above ones suggests one gets the length by pruning back from a quarter wave, although it didn't say whether that allowed for end effects.

If this is being used indoors, coupling to the building structures and services may well increase the losses - or they could act as the real radiator!

Note that these radiation resistances are over an order of magnitude outside the specification range for the KAT2.

I do sympathize with the problem though, as I'm antenna restricted, and haven't really solved the problem yet.

--
David Woolley